Language
Mobile navigation Home page

Andrea Mariani (preparation and introduction), The Inventories of the Jesuit College in Nowogródek and its Estates from 1773-1774

Andrea Mariani (preparation and introduction), The Inventories of the Jesuit College in Nowogródek and its Estates from 1773-1774

 

The edition of the inventories at the Jesuit College in Nowogródek and of its estates, drawn up following the suppression of the Society of Jesus at the turn of 1773 and 1774 contains a critical analysis of five manuscripts so far virtually unexploited, and housed in Russian and Belorussian archives. The material in this edition is of value to those interested in various disciplines, such as art and architecture history, book studies, history of education, urban studies, religious studies, musicology, pharmacy, economic history and historical demography. Nowogródek was an important administrative centre, due to its being the voivodeship capital and one of the seats of the Lithuanian Tribunal. The establishment of a Jesuit settlement had great significance for the city's development, which had hitherto been subjected to the powerful cultural influence of the Eastern Orthodox Church. The Jesuit house in Nowogródek first operated as a mission (1626-1631), then as a residence (1631-1714), and finally as a college (1714-1773). During this period, the Jesuits developed a wide range of activities in the educational, pastoral and social field, which is evidenced by the library catalogues and pharmacy inventory, among other things.

In preparing the critical apparatus, the author relied on archival sources and historiography. In addition to the Moscow and Mińsk archives, the inquiries took in several cultural institutions in Poland, Lithuania and Italy (with the Archivum Romanum Societatis Iesu being of particular importance). This work's added value is that it identifies almost all books mentioned in Jesuit library catalogues. It also attempts to reconstruct the college archive based on documents it originally contained. These were taken over by the Commission of National Education following the suppression of the Society of Jesus, and to this day are stored in the fond 1603 at the Russian State Archive of Ancient Documents.

Language: Polish



Sign up